[Exclusive] Uesaka Sumire Touhou Project Cosplay Photoshoot Interview (Part 3) (English Translation)

"Does anyone remember about my cosplay at that time?" Uesaka Sumire's highschool days, and her memories of Reitaisai

(This is fan-made English translation of Touhou Garakuta's interview. For the original interview and more photoshoots please visit here: https://touhougarakuta.com/interview/uesakasumire_3)

We are bringing you special article series where Uesaka Sumire-san, a seiyuu who has publicly announced her love for Touhou, wrapped up in original Touhou Project Costumes. In this third article, we had the chance to hear more about Uesaka-san's private cosplay, and also witness her suggestive(!) laughter in Houraisan Kaguya costume.

Actually, Sumipe had visited Reitaisai on her private time. During the interview, we discovered how aggressive she becomes when she participated in the Reitaisai! At the end of this article, we will give a glimpse of a charming cosplay from “that character” other than Kaguya, as a preview for the next article.

Uesaka Sumire's highschool days, and her memories of Reitaisai

--On your published book “Sumipedia”, it was stated that you had cosplayed as Touhou characters in the past, like in the World Cosplay Summit. Do you remember when was the first time you cosplayed as Touhou character?

Uesaka: The first time huh… I wonder when was it. Also, what was the character… (she pondered for a while)

Ah! I remember now.

The first time I cosplayed as Touhou character was when I was in high school, but I didn’t have any money, so I couldn’t afford any costume.

So, I gathered clothes I had at the time and was thinking about the character costume I could make from those. The closest one I could think of was Rumia, so I challenged myself to cosplay as her for the first time. Then, I bought a wig to match the costume, so I went to Reitaisai while cosplaying as Rumia, and that was also my first time going there…

--Wa-Wait a second, Uesaka-san! So, you went to Reitaisai in a cosplay? Also, you were still in high school?

Uesaka: Hehehe, that’s right. I was in high school at the time.

Other than that, I also do cosplay at home, even though I didn’t post any pictures, including Udonge (Reisen Udongein Inaba) and Cirno because I also like both of them. I tried not to spread them into the world, so it’s like I’m cosplaying in secret. Such is my own fantasy room (laughs).

Actually, I want to cosplay as all the characters.

I think it’s almost 10 years since I cosplayed as Rumia on that Reitaisai…

I wonder if anyone still remember it… If there’s any of the readers still remembers, please state yourself (laughs).

--I think we just got incredible information about you today… From cosplaying by yourself at home, to going to Reitaisai, all of that seems normal to you, Sumipe… Was that the only time you’ve gone to Reitaisai?

Uesaka: The first time I went there was when I was in high school, but I’ve gone there 3 times until now. I want to participate more, but unfortunately, I couldn’t make it because of my busy schedule.

When I participated for the third time, I think I went there while being Konpaku Youmu because “it’s easy to move in” (laughs), but I made the setting for myself.

“I was ordered by (Saigyouji) Yuyuko to come here, so I will buy various souvenirs (Doujin works) for her!” That was I was thinking while I was going there. I bought figures and sake.

At the time, I was already working, so I was kind of noticed by people around me…

I was concealing myself to come to Reitaisai, so when people asked to take pictures of me, I refused them.

But, since I was bringing a camera, I asked to take pictures of other people!

--Taking pictures, in Youmu’s costume?

Uesaka: Yes, in Youmu’s costume (laughs). I also like to go to Reitaisai to take pictures of other people.

Compared to other contents, I got the impression that more guys enjoying themselves doing cosplay for Touhou.

Especially, I remembered that when Seiga and Yoshiko facing each other, their guy friends were shouting “Die~ Die~” to each other like they were having fun (laughs).

And then I asked them “Can I take a picture?” and they let me took a picture. That moment was so memorable that I couldn’t forget it.

--To think that Uesaka Sumire would suddenly talk to them, even asked them for pictures, I’m sure they would be very surprised!

Uesaka: …I wondered about that (laughs).

Moreover, I stumbled upon a group of people cosplaying while walking around the Reitaisai, made me want to do cosplay as that character. Especially, for the people that was cosplaying as Mountain of Faith's character (Yasaka Kanako), I wonder how they could carry around that Shimenawa*. Everyone’s cosplay is such high-level. (*TL note: Shimenawa is the rope used as talisman against evil)

Lately, I’m seeing there are more and more people challenging themselves to do cosplay as difficult characters, aren’t they? It’s really surprising for me. If the situation has settled down, I really want to go to Reitaisai again.

In fact, I haven’t talked about this before, but there’s Yoshiko costume in our place… And I will absolutely go there in cosplay again!

--By the way, what was your first impression when you look at this costume?

Uesaka: Amazing… I can see that the clothes’ quality is really high. It’s not just good on the looks, but it’s also easy to move in. I’m really grateful for the consideration.

I think cosplay is about personal work that’s trying to be as close to the original source, but the two costumes prepared for today are really perfect.

I want to wear this for the next concert… actually, I could wear this and go to Reitaisai right now. I’m really glad.

---

Uesaka-san really loves Touhou, more than we thought. Maybe we can expect more of her Touhou cosplay in the near future. (By the way, this costume will be gifted to the person herself at a later date!) 

Then, for this interview, we have prepared the second costume for the photograph session. So, for the next time… she will appear in that costume.

Please look forward to her cute appearance that’s different from Kaguya.


Comments